The AIDS Committee of Ottawa (ACO) is pleased to announce the launch of a Virtual Buddy Program in November 2020!
The main objective of the Buddy Program is to improve the quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS by providing emotional support and company. Upon building capacity, the next steps will be focused on incorporating a peer model.
The Buddy Program functions with a bank of dedicated, qualified volunteers who are willing to support members on a flexible schedule by:
- Ensuring the program operates from a needs-based approach.
- Matching participants with trained volunteers for one-to-one calling.
Who is a Buddy?
- A trained volunteer who works one-on-one with a specific member.
- A social contact, active listener, and advocate.
- A companion, a non-judgmental third party, sounding board, supporter, limit setter, and a representative of ACO.
- All buddy volunteers are trained to be grounded individuals capable of offering ongoing non-judgmental emotional support.